December can be a stressful time for many people. We often put a lot of pressure on ourselves to have “the Perfect Christmas” and as a result end up stressed and anxious instead of happy and joyful! Read on for 5 tips for a more relaxing Christmas.
5 tips for a more relaxing Christmas
1. Set limits – learn to say no. Don’t spread yourself too thin – we all take on a lot of things at this time of year, remember that you are only human and you need to ensure you look after yourself as well as others! Sometimes you try to be all things to all people and this just leaves you exhausted. By learning to say no, you respect yourself and set healthy boundaries. This is then reflected back as people will actually respect you for saying no. Anyone who does get defensive or angry with you is just acting out because they wish they could say no too!
2. Enlist help – don’t be afraid to ask other people to help, whether that means asking your spouse or partner to help with the housework or the Christmas shopping. You could ask your guests to all bring something to share for Christmas dinner so you are not slaving over a hot stove all day. Get the kids to help with the washing up or have a decorating party before Christmas and get your friends to help with the tree. Let go of the need to control and you will find yourself having a much more relaxed time!
3. Don’t get into debt – it is very easy to overspend at this time of year. Limit the Christmas shopping list. Perhaps do a Secret Santa with the adults in the family instead of buying gifts for everyone. Set a budget and stick to it. If the children want all the latest gadgets and toys perhaps introduce them to the real meaning of the season. Spending quality time together instead of it being all about getting lots of stuff.
4. Recognise Burnout – sometimes we get so wrapped up in the stress of it all that we fail to see that we are suffering from burnout until it is too late. Learn to recognise the symptoms – low energy, feeling run-down, feeling angry or irritable or having a negative or pessimistic viewpoint. If you start to see these signs stop and take a step back. Take some time out.
5. Chill – take some time for yourself. Go and have a lovely bath or go for a walk. Take an hour out to read a book or simply sit and enjoy some peace and quiet. Perhaps even meditate – that is a fantastic way to de-stress! I have a free guided meditation that you can listen to via my YouTube Channel. It will help you relax and is perfect for even the busiest mind! Click here to listen.
I hope these 5 tips will help you get the most out of the festive season. Remember that it is really about spending time with your loved ones and being thankful for all the blessings you have in your life.
If you would like more help managing stress or are simply interested in what Rocks n Rituals is all about then please visit the website or follow us on social media.
May December flow smoothly and season’s greetings to you!